Saturday, March 7, 2009

Calling for Cards for the Troops

My husband, John, is in the Army. He's been in Medical School and now residency so he hasn't been deployed yet. Moving to Hawaii there are many military installations here and so I have met many families in various branches of the service.

My friend's husband will be depoloyed to Iraq in a few weeks, where he'll stay for a year. They have 2 boys, 4 years and 8 months (I think). She and I work together with our boys' Preschool Co-op, and she's become a really good friend. I just love her, a wonderful parent and strong woman.

I have seen many people in the stamping community coordinate making and getting cards to service men and women in Iraq and Afganistan. When I heard that my friend's husband was deploying I immediately thought of sending him a bunch of cards that he can use to send home for birthdays, special occasions, or just because.

I guess I put myself in my friend's shoes. I can't imagine how it would be for my little boys to not have Daddy around every day. My 4 year old loves to get mail and if it came from his Daddy far away I know he would love it even more. I feel that even though I can't do much to help my friend, at least I can do this.

I will be getting cards together for the next few weeks and if you want to help as well, send me your blank cards and I will send them on to my friend's husband. He will be responsible for about 25 marines, so if there are a lot of cards I know he would pass them on to his men.

With each card I make I'll also be including an envelope. E-mail me at mghunnie@yahoo.co.uk and I will send you my address. Pass this on to anyone who you think would like to help out. Thanks!!!

No comments: